Gangadhara - Shiva
Gangadhara - Shiva
Gangadhara, He who bears the waters of the river Ganga.
King Sagara of the Ikshvaku dynasty once decided to perform the Ashwamedha yagna (horse sacrifice) a hundred times to invoke the blessings of MahaVishnu. But on the day of the hundredth yagna, Indra, feeling insecure about his position due to the king's rising powers, led the horse to Sage Kapila's ashram. When Sagara's sons found out where the horse was, they accused the sage of theft, having no knowledge that it was Indra's doing. By the wrath of sage Kapila, the princes were immediately reduced to ashes. The furious Sagara vowed he wouldn't rest until he found the horse. So he sent his grandson Amshuman to find the horse.
Amshuman eventally reached Kapila's ashram and impressed him with his humility. Kapila not only let Amshuman take the horse for his father to complete the sacrifice, but also promised that the souls of his father and uncles (Sagara's sons) would rest in peace by the power of Ganga's waters, a river in the heavens that was created by Brahma’s washing Vishnu’s foot with the water from his Kamandalu. Amshuman had no idea how to bring Ganga to earth. He performed penance for the sins of his father and uncles, but it was futile. His son Dileepa also did not succeed. Dileepa's son Bhagiratha continued the penance as the once flourishing kingdom was now in bad shape. His efforts bore fruit as Brahma appeared before him and granted his wish.
However, the force of the river had to be controlled for it to flow on earth without causing destruction. So Bhagiratha meditated upon Shiva, the ever merciful one, as instructed by Brahma. Shiva received Ganga, her force and fury with immense love, subdued her and allowed her to flow down peacefully through his matted locks. Bhagiratha was then able to wash away the sins of his forefathers.
Ganga was overwhelmed by Shiva's love and chose to stay with Him on his head. This is why Shiva is also known as Gangadhara, He who bears the waters of the river Ganga.
All size options listed are in inches.
Prints on Paper: Artwork images are printed on high-quality archival paper (300 gsm, 100% cotton, matte finish, acid- and lignin-free) in the selected size.
- For USA and Canada: The print includes a white border of 0.25 - 0.5 inch around the artwork. Prints come without watermark. Frames are not included.
- For India : An extra white border of 0.5 inch surrounds the artwork. Prints come without watermark. Frames are not included.
Prints on Canvas: Images are printed on 400 gsm low-glare satin or matte canvas (depending on availability). Canvas prints are shipped rolled/unstretched in tube packaging and require stretching/framing by the customer. The selected canvas size includes additional printed area for gallery-wrapping by a local framer. If you need guidance with measurements, stretching or framing, please contact us.
Note: The actual print colors may slightly differ from what is seen on screen due to varying device display capabilities and user preferences. We take a lot of care to minimize these differences for best print results.
Digital Downloads: Upon purchase, you will receive a downloadable PDF file. Please note, this applies only for the products listed under the "Downloadables" tab. For all other artworks, we exclusively offer physical prints.
Shipping and Handling Guidelines:
- Processing Time: Please allow 10-14 days for shipping as each print is made-to-order.
- In-Stock Items: For items in stock, orders within the US and Canada ship within 2-4 business days.
- Notification of Delays: If any unexpected delays occur, we will promptly inform you via the email provided during your order.
- Packaging: Prints are carefully packaged in flat envelopes/boxes. Orders larger than 16" are shipped in protective mailing tubes.
- Shipping Details: Ensure accurate shipping address and contact information during checkout. Kindly note that we are unable to assume responsibility for packages marked as "delivered" after they have been shipped.
- Lost Packages: If your order is lost in transit and confirmed by tracking info/carrier, we'll replace the item(s) at no cost to you.
- Handling and Care: Upon the arrival of your package, we recommend delicately handling prints by their edges. To preserve their quality, avoid direct exposure to bright light or humidity. We also advise framing your print in a timely manner to safeguard its longevity.
Thank you for choosing our prints. Your satisfaction is our priority.
- Orders < $150: $4.99
- Orders > $150: Free shipping
- Orders < USD 150: USD 12 (excluding customs fee/VAT)
- Orders > USD 150: Free shipping (excluding customs fee/VAT)
- Please note that any applicable customs duties must be paid by the recipient upon delivery.
- Orders < INR 5000: INR 300
- Orders > INR 5000: Free shipping
Digital Downloads: Our shipping policy doesn't apply to digital downloads, as these products are delivered via email and download link after checkout. They are available worldwide.
Returns and Exchanges: We regret to inform you that returns and exchanges are not available for prints. However, if you receive a damaged item or an incorrect order, please contact us at the earliest at email@example.com with details. We are committed to resolving the issue to your satisfaction. Please note that we may request documentary proof for damaged items or order discrepancies.
Refunds: In the event of a damaged item (verified by proof provided), a refund will be automatically issued to your original payment method. Please note that it may take some time for your bank or credit card company to process and post the refund.
Cancellations: To cancel an order and receive a full refund, kindly email us at firstname.lastname@example.org within 24 hours of placing the order. We regret that we cannot accept cancellations for orders exceeding the 24-hour window or for custom orders.
Digital Downloads: As digital products are delivered immediately upon checkout, we do not offer returns, exchanges, cancellations, or refunds for these orders.